If you’re craving a hot, comforting breakfast that is packed with protein and nutrients, yet not a grain or cereal-based one, try quinoa porridge. It’s a delicious alternative to oats and a great option for people with gluten issues or who are avoiding grains.
- 50g quinoa (serves 1)
- 1 medium apple, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- coconut or unsweetened almond milk
- Rinse the quinoa well and place in a pan with about double the volume of water. Bring to the boil, cover, reduce the heat and gently simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the grain unwraps itself. That’s when you know the quinoa is done. Each grain will look like it’s got a little tail.
- You may head over for a quick shower, some morning meditation or a few rounds of sun salutations while the quinoa is cooking… otherwise just relax and and turn off the heat and leave it to cool slightly, before draining away any remaining water.
- Add the apple and cinnamon.
- Serve with almond or coconut milk.
- Top with berries
- Sprinkle ground seeds on top
- Add a dollop of almond butter in the centre – very delicious!
(Image source: The Healthy Mummy)
Jo Rowkins, nutritional therapist