Not getting your daily dose of greens? Try this incredibly delicious array of mouthwatering flavours that will satisfy even the most fussy eaters. Packed with vitality and immune boosting ingredients, this dish will pack a taste punch that you’ll want more of.
If you have a local Thai or Asian food shop head there for a selection of green leafy veggies such as choi sum, morning glory and pac choi. If these are not available to you, simply use a selection of green leafy veg you can find, such as winter or spring greens, kale, chard etc.
- A selection of green leafy veg, such as choi sum, pak choi and morning glory, washed
- A 4cm cube of ginger, peeled and chopped into thin strips
- 5 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- A tablespoon of virgin coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons of fresh raw miso paste
- Heat the coconut oil in a wok and add the garlic and ginger. Inhale the delicious aroma!
- Stir fry gently for about 2 mins making sure the garlic does not burn. Take another deep inhalation and delight in the amazing scent of warm coconut, garlic and ginger.
- Add the greens and stir fry for about 3 minutes until the green begin to soften and wilt.
- Now add about 1/4 small glass of water and immediately everything will begin to sizzle as the cold water hits the hot pan. Put on a lid and let the greens “steam fry” for a minute or so more.
- Remove the lid, take off the heat and let sit for 30 seconds before adding the miso paste. (Never add the miso whilst cooking as the heat will destroy the beneficial bacteria in the fermented miso).
- Stir the miso into the water at the bottom of the pan too make a delectable sauce and toss the greens into it.
- Serve immediately and relish the flavours as you give your body a green power boost!
This dish can be eaten alone as a light meal, healthy snack or served as a side dish.
Try topping it with some oily fish for a main meal. Get creative with this.
If you like it spicy, add some fresh chopped chili.
If you like some more crunch, add some raw nuts or sesame seeds.
Definitely eat this when you feel a cold coming on. The ginger, garlic and coconut oil are all potent immune boosters. Enjoy!
Article by Jo Rowkins DipNT MBANT, nutritional therapist and founder of awakening health.