Most cosmetics and body care products contain endocrine disrupting ingredients, an array of synthetic chemicals, perfumes and preservatives – all of which have been proven to be toxic to our bodies and even carcinogenic.
I go back to my biology books.
ONE OF THE SKIN’S MAJOR FUNCTIONS IS ABSORPTION.
Yes, that’s right. Whatever you put on your skin gets absorbed into your body as if you had eaten it.
READ THE LABEL ON YOUR BODY CARE PRODUCTS.
ARE YOU HAPPY EATING THOSE INGREDIENTS?
So, what can we put on our precious selves that supports our bodies instead of adding to our toxic burden?
MY TOP 10 NATURAL SKIN CARE BRANDS (discount code below for followers of Awakening Health)
- Faith In Nature. A delightful range of shampoos, conditioners, body washes and other products packed with natural ingredients and an abundance of essential oils. Even my mop of frizzy hair loves their Aloe Vera conditioner!
- Pacifica. A mineral-based make-up range with a fabulous choice of ethical products. I love their nail polish (the most non-toxic you can get), the wonderful make-up palettes and choices of natural perfumes, BB creams, lip glosses and more.
- Weleda. It goes without saying that Weleda are leaders in the natural skin care scene. My favourites are Wild Rose Body Wash, the iconic Skin Food and as a mama, their Baby Calendula range.
- Sukin. An Australian skin care range. Choose from delicious natural body lotions, face creams, bath products and more. I love these products!
- Alba Botanica. Less toxic than usual sun creams and hair products. I’ve used this range for my frizzy mane and tropical sun bathing needs.
- Dead Sea Spa Magik. Bath salts and mud masks galore! I know no better way to soak in the tub and detoxify!
- Green People. Need I say more? With a product range to suit everybody and a proven track record of sustainable, natural and ethical production, Green People are leaders in the natural skin care field. They even have beautiful, natural cosmetics.
- JASON. Too much to choose from. This long-standing natural skin care brand provide most of the products you could desire, from bath and shower products, to baby and sun care creams, as well as a vitamin C rich anti-ageing range.
- Optima. Non-toxic aloe vera toothpastes and mouthwashes. What’s not to like?
- Salt Of The Earth. Natural rock deodorants. You can’t get cleaner than letting your body sweat naturally. I gave up anti-perspirants and chemical deodorants years ago.
I’m passionate about creating a healthy environment for myself and my daughter. I’ve been using natural skin and body care products for over 20 years and have tried many different brands. The biggest changes you can make are swapping products that you put directly on your skin (make-up, moisturiser, perfume and body wash) for natural, healthy versions, and swapping your pore-blocking/sweat-blocking deodorant for a natural one that simply provides freshness without stopping you sweat. Why would you want to block one of your body’s natural detoxification channels?
I use The Natural Dispensary for all my products. You can benefit from a 15% discount via Awakening Health, using our code AWAKENING15 at check-out. Happy Shopping!
Article by Jo Rowkins, Nutritional Therapist at Awakening Health