This is a delicious pate that is quick to make and is packed with health-boosting ingredients – cashews, carrots, herbs, spices and tahini. Sesame seeds in the tahini pack a calcium punch, whilst the cashews are rich in zinc, magnesium and iron. Carrots are rich in fibre and betacarotene for healthy digestion and protection against infections, alongside garlic and ginger. This dip can be eaten as a healthy snack to keep your cravings for unhealthy foods at bay and keep your blood sugar levels balanced.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 140g raw cashew nuts
- 300g carrots, chopped
- 55g light tahini
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tsp sea or Himalayan salt
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- 50g microsalad leaves, to serve
- 8 gluten-free mixed seed crackers, to serve
- Soak the cashew nuts in a large bowl of cold water for at least 4 hours, or overnight. Drain thoroughly.
- Place all ingredients except the fresh coriander, in a food processor or blender. Process until the mixture is smooth.
- Stir the coriander leaves into the mixture and spoon into small serving bowls or ramekins. Cover with clingfilm or a small plate and chill for 2 hours before serving.
- Spread the pate onto the crackers and serve immediately with the microsalad leaves.
Article by Jo Rowkins, Nutritional Therapist at Awakening Health.