I’m lucky in that I’ve never had a sweet tooth, so don’t have sugar cravings at all. I do sometimes indulge in a dessert and when I do, I enjoy those that are low sugar and packed with nutrition. These are easy to make, protein-rich with healthy fats, vegan and low sugar (as long as you don’t eat them all in one go!). Almost the perfect dessert I’d say!
Ingredients (serves 10):
3 oz. (100g) of dark chocolate, 70-80%
⅓ cup (80ml) of full-fat coconut milk
2 tbsp. coconut sugar
2 tbsp. instant coffee
2 tbsp. almond butter
pinch sea salt
2 tbsp. cacao/cocoa powder, for dusting
- Place the chocolate in a heat proof bowl and heat over a saucepan of hot water (bain marie) just until it starts to melt.
2. In a small pan, heat the coconut milk, along with the instant coffee and sugar just until it’s coming to the boil. Next, whisk in the almond butter with a pinch of sea salt, and stir until smooth.
3. Pour the hot coconut milk mixture into the bowl with the chocolate and stir it very gently and slowly until well combined.
4. Fix a layer of clingfilm right over the top of the mixture, to prevent a skin forming and chill in the fridge for about 2 hours, until firm.
5. Lightly dust a clean surface with cacao powder and roll a spoonful of the chocolate in it. Shape into balls and serve at room temperature. Store in the fridge.
Get help with switching to healthier eating: