Raw carrot salad is getting a lot of press these days and it’s being hailed as a savour for oestrogen dominance on various socials. Carrots themselves are not directly responsible for healthy hormones, however they’re packed with fibre to feed your body’s friendly bacteria which play a crucial role in healthy oestrogen excretion, as well as keeping your digestion working properly. This is a simple salad – a carrot and courgette slaw – that can be served with anything, or simply eaten alone. I love it with wild salmon, or alongside my eggs for breakfast.
- 1-2 raw carrots, grated thickly or spiralised
- 1 courgette, grated thickly or spiralised
- Handful cress or micro greens
- Handful fresh herbs of your choice
- 1-2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (with the mother)
- Good glug of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes (optional)
- Sea salt or Himalayan salt and black pepper to season
- Mix carrot and courgette in a large bowl
- Add olive oil and vinegar and mix gently
- Taste and adjust if needed. You may like more zing from the vinegar, or more oil depending on your personal taste
- Toss in the cress or micro greens and fresh herbs
- Season with salt and pepper and add chilli flakes if using.
- Enjoy every mouthful with mindfulness and gratitude!
Bored of your food?
If you’re stuck in a food rut or want to know what to eat for your own health goals, consult with Jo privately for a bespoke approach, or join the online Perimenopause Programme to get motivated and inspired again during your hormonal transition.